Skip to main content

Logo Design: Native American Seal

SOF Logo Final Versions - design by JFleming 2015Just wrapped up a fun freelance job with a client. Here are the two finals along with some behind-the-curtain sketches and preliminary work ups so you can see how long this process turned out to be - I ran through a great number of bad versions before I hit upon something that was even remotely close to what he wanted. What can I say? He said to "throw some darts" and I threw lots of them and floundered around for a long while before hitting upon something that worked.

There was a great deal of research involved in this project since I had never done anything that was supposed to target a Native American audience. My main inspiration for the finals were beautiful Hopi designs, especially their beautiful jewelry. 

The bear paw represents strength and wisdom, two adjectives that I know should be held closely when dealing with financial decisions. One of the key guidelines given when I began this design project was that the design be "strong, powerful, masculine, colorful, and be recognizably Native American but not distinctly Ho'ma Indian (no red lobsters)." The strong symbolism of the paw worked for that pretty well. The feathers are a readily recognizable Native American symbol so that fit too.

Another bit of direction that was given was that they weren't sure they wanted the full name of the fund in the logo mark. Since they're not well known yet, I expressed my professional opinion that they needed to have the text in there until they have decent brand recognition. Even using only the abbreviation had the potential to be unclear as to the purpose of the group and the purpose of the symbol. I'm glad they allowed me to put all of the text into it.

And just to appease the curious among you, Saktce-Homa Opportunity Fund is a government grant-funded non-profit group which provides loans to Native Americans with a focus on financial literacy and community growth. I hope they'll enjoy using the logo at least as much as I enjoyed creating it for them.

Here are a couple of mockups of the logo on a business card:
Beautiful mockup template provided via GraphicBurger.

SOF Black/White Logo Mockup - JFleming 2015

SOF Color Logo Mockup - JFleming 2015
  
And now for the flops and failure gallery:
Preliminary SOF Logo Sketches - all discarded - JFleming 2015
Preliminary SOF Logo Sketches - all discarded - JFleming 2015
 
Preliminary SOF Logo Sketches Set 2 - all discarded - JFleming 2015
More flops - These are just the most successful of the terrible ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N