Skip to main content

Sugar-Coated Bad Advice

You know, Dove Chocolate gives terrible advice. It's nice to open a piece of chocolate and have a sweet little fortune-cookie-esque comment inside the wrapper, but those comments have gotten progressively worse since they started printing those little things. The Dove chocolate is by far my favorite brand, but I am glad I don't live my life according to the principals they promote.

Check this one out:

"Forget the rules and play by your heart," it says. Sure, it sounds great, but what terrible advice! I mean, if everyone followed their heart no matter the consequences... All I can do is shake my head. What a relativistic quagmire we've fallen into! This kind of stuff is only part of the reason society has so many ills - no one seems able to locate their self control any more. One guy decides that his heart wants something that isn't his (like his buddy's car) and one woman decides that her best friend's husband floats her boat more than her own husband does after ten years and two point five kids... yeah, following your heart isn't what it's cracked up to be. You get a fleeting moment of pleasure and then have to deal with the (often major) consequences.

And don't get me started on the views that are promoted through every Disney movie I've ever seen - the idea that people are inherently good and that anything you need to change your situation or your life is within yourself. Don't believe me? Don't just take my word for it. Pick up an armful of Disney animated (or live action) movies at the rental store and see what I'm talking about. Even "Pollyanna" and other such classics are saturated with those unsubstantiated ideas.

America's been swallowing this stuff whole for so long that most people don't even see it any more. I mean, look at prime time TV. Be on your toes - watch the next sitcom and tell me how many innuendos you pick up on (more importantly, how many did you miss?) - how many swear words can you count? Immoral situations? Questionable ethical practices or how about simply counting each time they make people who believe in Christ look stupid or dangerous or hateful? When you sit down to watch your favorite TV show, notice that it is saturated with that stuff and you've been so desensitized that you haven't noticed...

Yeah, so, that's why I've turned off that one-eye'd god and have tried to do other things with my time. It's surprising how much more time you have in a day when you're not playing human-vegetable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N