Skip to main content

Youth Ministry Calendar Designing

This year I've simplified the design for the student calendar a great deal - it's been a relief to focus on making cleaner looking designs - though that's not my first inclination. My first inclination has always been to "fill the space" leaving no room for the design to "breathe."

Anyway, in the new calendar design I've gone from upwards of 100 layers from last year's Windows 8 and iPad based design to just over 50 for this year's simplified one and that makes things much easier to move around and keep up with. Not to mention that I'm happier with the overall layout when I dump all of those logos in favor of text.

Speaking of dumping logos, I think the next thing that needs to be considered is simplifying/consolidating the logos around here - link everything (or almost everything) stylistically to the main logo. It's that age old House of Brands vs Brand House vs Mixed Brand House issue. I know that before I arrived various ministries didn't have the option of having their own logos - and there's very little direction as far as the brand is concerned, so everyone got their own logo. (I'm not sure I had the option of saying "no.") I think having so many logos have muddied the waters a great deal, and I hope that soon we will be able to simplify a lot of the designs, or in the very least, dial it back some. I'm about to begin working on a re-branding for the main logo, so now's the time to be saying something about all of this. I just hope I'll find some influential listening ears.

Cossover Student Ministries Calendar 2013-2014
This is the old design for 2013-2014

Crossover Student Ministries Calendar 2014-15
These are some of the proofs of the simplified design.
The one on the far right is the one we're refining, though I like the one on the far left.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N