Skip to main content

Freelance Logo Design process: Grace Academy

A former co-worker called earlier this month wanting to know if I'd do a logo for them. They home school their kids and having a "school name" helps them in the state they've moved to.

I'm such a slow designer. I didn't sketch anything for this one - mostly because I thought I could work faster if I just edited some open source stock art I had. But the process was still slower than I'd have liked. I spent a good long while on research and looking for inspiration, more time gathering useful bits and pieces, and then at several hours fiddling with things to see what direction I should go in before I had anything worth looking at. So yeah, this project has a lot of time invested in it - which for a simple design like what they wanted, is pretty normal. I'm glad I didn't need to sketch and then digitize because I'm even slower when it comes to that now that I don't have access to a graphics tablet (boo-hoo - I really miss that tool - maybe with what I make on this job I'll be able to start a fund).

The following is what they sent me. They said they wanted a black and white design with a professional masculine look to the overall piece - something they could use for stationary and shirts and such. They liked the idea of the shield, book and sword but weren't tied to the particular imagery they sent.

Idea provided by client
Preliminary idea images client sent to me.

Just below is one of the proofs from the first set. I recreated the book almost exactly as it was in their original image, combined a few sword images to create a sword silhouette I liked, changed the shield shape and added some embellishments before I sat back and realized it was probably too busy (see below).  I thought they'd probably want something a little more simple, but I wanted to make sure I had done all I thought I wanted to do with it before offering simplified versions. I experimented with several different font faces once I got the shields done, but the one I liked the most was a serif font called "Californian FB." It was just quirky enough for me to enjoy looking at it. That and the serif on the E as well as the elongated ascended line of the A made it look a little more "medieval" to me and that fit with my preconceived ideas of the shield and sword heraldry type of imagery they wanted.

Grace Academy logo proof - busy version - JFleming 2014
One of the busy versions


After they saw the first set of proofs, they chose one of the simpler shield designs and said they really liked two of the layouts. I did some tweaking and sent the next round, assuming that they'd be pretty happy with one or all of the versions I sent. It didn't take long for them to come back and say we had winners.

Here are the ones they settled on:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N