Skip to main content

Making Elbow Room


This is the end result. You can tell where I added,
but to the untrained eye it won't be noticeable.
It has become common place for me to "add" bits and pieces to photographs of people when I'm not granted the opportunity to take my own photo. If I can't find a replacement part online within the first few minutes of searching (because it is difficult to find a photograph that has the body part I'm looking for photographed at just the right angle, and/or if the angle is right, in a usable resolution) I often end up "painting in" whatever bit or piece that I need to make the composition work for me.

The reason I'm thinking about this right now is that I did a baptism slide this week and I had to add an elbow. Since the slide isn't closely scrutinized (and is projected), I didn't concern myself with adding the perfect amount of noise to the painted part (if this was for print I would've been a bit more careful), but I started to think about how many times I've completed a head, added a hand, rounded out a shoulder and realized that I spend an inordinate amount of time doing those kinds of things to the photographs that I don't have the privilege of taking myself. It's fun, but I don't always have time to devote to those kinds of fun things.

Original shot cropped out both elbows.
I only needed the right one so...
You may wonder why I end up having to make use of photos that are missing shoulders or elbows. A while back I developed a small handout and email that explained what is needed in a baptism photograph, but since I am the only one who is concerned with the quality of the end result (and don't often have opportunity to speak with the people who ultimately provide the photographs) those guidelines have largely been disregarded.Such is the life of a underemployed graphic designer, eh?

(I cropped out the gal's face because she's a minor and I didn't want to request permission to place her likeness online for something like this.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N