Skip to main content

Sushi - a Haiku and a funny story

The boss showed me a Haiku from a book his daughter was reading called "I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats" by Francesco Marciuliano called "Sushi".

Here it is in all its glory:

SUSHI
Did you really think
That you could hide fish in rice?
Oh, the green paste burns!



What's so funny about this Haiku (and why I wanna share it) is that I had not been at this job for long when I did something super stupid that you may find amusing.

The ministerial staff around here goes to lunch every Monday after their staff meeting. That day they'd gone to a new sushi bar. The office administrator is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. When they got back to the office, everyone was in the front office talking about their lunch experience when one of the secretaries (who apparently watches a lot of food network) said that the hot green wasabi paste is used as a palette cleansing agent. The administrator laughed and said that he'd rather use Oreos and Diet Coke to cleanse his palette after having sushi and we all belly laughed.

I thought that conversation was so funny I told my mother about it. (She also works in a church office.) Someone in that office heard the story and said that I should send the story to a local columnist named Smiley Anders. He writes up funnies that people from around town send in. Well, I didn't think much about it. I sent the story and thought the columnist would edit what I sent, but he didn't. He printed what I sent to him almost verbatim and it caused some problems. Though the story was funny, it didn't exactly paint the administrator in a dignified manner. The story was printed in the Friday edition of the paper. The administrator was out of town that day and wasn't going to be back in town until Sunday. Needless to say, I got upset thinking about how stupid I had been to send something like that to a newspaper. I thought I was going to get fired, but the boss was gracious about it. Now it's a big office joke. We can't mention sushi or wasabi paste without mentioning the palette cleansing properties of Oreos and Diet Coke; and the administrator laughs when he tells his stories and makes his comments saying that he needs to be careful or I will write it up and send it to the paper.

I still cringe a little even now, because I can't believe I was so silly as to send something like that to the newspaper, but I can laugh some about it now. I learned a valuable lesson that day - one I'm not quickly going to forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N