Skip to main content

The character of the people... and quilting


`In the end, the state of the Union comes down to the character of the people. 
I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors, 
ample rivers, and it was not there. I sought for it in the fertile fields, 
and boundless prairies, and it was not there. I sought it in her rich mines, 
and vast world commerce, and it was not there. 
Not until I went into the churches of America 
and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness  
did I understand the secret of her genius and power.'
Alexis de Tocqueville


I ran across the above interesting quote this morning when wondering what significant thing happened on July 2, 1954 - after a little research I found that day is when the idea of the separation of church and state put down roots. All these 57 years later, society reflects that separation in oh-so-many grotesque ways. I thank God again that my hope isn't in the government. My faith in people has plummeted, but God is the same trustworthy, righteous, holy One and that's more than just merely comforting it provides the hope I need to live. I can't tell you how many times I have shuddered at how evil the days have become. And I see no end to the madness. I expect it to continue to get worse until Jesus comes back and sets things aright. The head of this once great nation is diseased - how can the rest of the country not be diseased as well?


A beautiful sample of a Cathedral Window Quilt - not my work.
Anyway, I've been working on a cathedral window quilt that my mother started a few years ago. She has worked on it off and on for about 2 years. When she started that job, we joked about it taking 5 years to finish the quilt and surprisingly, it will likely take that long. There's so much work that goes into that thing it's bizarre. The quilt is beautiful - it's probably one of my favorite quilt designs since it's just basically an off white fabric base with "windows" of colored fabric. It's a quilt that's more a work of art you'd want to hang on the wall, than a quilt you'd want to take with you to picnic on a the park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Project: Bear

Found a pattern for a simple bear on pinterst - decided to do one of them yesterday evening. It didn't take long and I think it turned out ok. What do you think? I'm not crazy about the shape of the arms - am going to make those a little different next time. I enjoyed doing it so much that I think I'm going to re-purpose those millions of old shirts into cute little plush dolls I can send with our church members when they go on various mission trips. And I should have enough left to put into an Operation Christmas Child box or two this fall.

Hang a Star - Illustration

The original sketch for "Hang a Star". I love to draw snowmen and little animals in scenes. Here's the completed illustration - colored digitally in photoshop.

Curse of Royalty Series is available now!

Curse of Royalty 4 Volume Series Read them now! All four volumes are available at Smashwords at a discount! Or get them at Barnes & Noble or Amazon or request them with Overdrive . And just for you sweet people who visit my blog - discount codes!   Drayden's Queen, Vol 1, FREE on Smashwords . No code needed. Abandoned Queen, Vol 2 , discounted 75% on Smashwords. Enter code: ED27P   Foolish Queen, Vol 3 , discounted 50% on Smahswords. Enter code: BG78W   Cursed Queen, Vol 4 , discounted 25% on Smashwords. Enter code: RN63N